Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Neurotic Cord Pullers

I recently started taking the bus to work a couple times per week to save on gas and wear-and-tear on my car. There’s a Park-and-Ride just a few miles from my house, and the bus route dumps me pretty close to work. Although it adds an extra half hour to each end of my commute, I appreciate that someone else is behind the wheel when traffic is brutal. During the ride I’m preparing emails for work, drafting blog posts, listening to music or watching a movie on my iPod. The time just flies. Sometimes I just stare out the window or observe riders as they board or disembark the bus, and I’ve come to recognize the same people occupying the same seats day in and day out. But one thing puzzles me. Each day without fail, the same person pulls the ‘Stop Requested’ cord when approaching my stop. At this point, the same half-dozen people get off the bus driven by the same bus driver each day. It’s almost as if said cord puller is afraid that the one time he doesn’t perform his daily duty the bus would breeze on past this popular stop. If I were a bus driver, this would drive me nuts.

6 comments:

thebets said...

You should pull it first next time just to mess with his head.

aspenni76 said...

Maybe he thinks he is the Desmond of Lost. Typing in the code every 180 minutes just because he doesn't know what will happen that one time he fails his duty.

Anonymous said...

Those six or so of you who usually dis-embark together should conspire to get off one stop later than usual and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,

Tom (Top Cat) is going to run the Salt Lake City Marathon in April. If you are interested in running the race, you may lodge here at our home. Aspen and Nick welcome as well!

funkylegs said...

Hi Suzie,

I'd love to but I have a 50-miler in Fruita that day (Desert RATS). That should kick my tail! Thanks for offering your home. Maybe we'll take you up on it in a future race.

Cheers,

Kirk

Dave T Butler said...

HA - LOL! I remember this from my regional bus-riding days. Now that I'm a local bus rider again, the neurosis are of a completely different nature. And wackier, sometimes downright scary.