Sunday, November 13, 2011

Call of Duty 4 - The Run!

'I'll teach you not to steal my Shot Bloks!'
In the most recent Trailrunner Mag (December 2011), a runner from Las Vegas in the 'Letters' column boasts that he always carries a gun, a knife, and pepper spray on his runs, stating that 'it adds a little weight, but the peace of mind is worth it'

Really???? Is he running down 'The Strip' at 3:00 AM?

It brought to mind the diversity in how we each manage our own sense of security. I live in the foothills of Colorado, where the most one should fear is a possible attack by a wild animal. Yet, I see the metal gates, home alarms and floodlights popping up everywhere. I remember having a discussion with a former FDNY firefighter and a rather large retired fire chief (also from the Big Apple) regarding the level of safety up in these hills. The FDNY guy said that he always packs heat and felt much more secure in the boroughs of New York than in the sleepy ascents of Conifer, to which the gregarious Chief replied, 'If someone breaks into my house, The first thing he'll see is my fist going through his face.' Ah, Chief. Good on ya, man. Maybe you should be joining me on my night runs.

No comments: