Saturday, November 19, 2011

Working Out The Kinks

Two-mile training runs are the pits!
It's been seven weeks since returning to some semblance of a regular running routine. This brief daily escape has been terribly missed, as I climb back onto the wagon with the welcoming clasp of an old friend. But of course, it's not without its growing pains. I put on some sympathy weight (....OK, 20 lbs), including more than a few lbs of upper body muscle mass that pushed me into the 195-lb range. I attribute this to many long days of swinging a pick and shovel while searching out my most favorite crystal digs. My knees are definitely not getting any love from this fleshy backpack. Now that we're in the gemhunter's 'offseason', the ground is frozen and will not be accepting my hand tools anytime soon. Bye, bye, guns (kisses biceps).  At the start of Week 8, I've already withered to a svelte 187, and looking to shave another five lbs from this frame by the New Year, especially after hearing that each lb of extra weight adds about 0:02 to each mile. So, imagine the hours I would sacrifice in a 100-mile race!

Rather than bore you with statistics or my paltry running log, I'll focus on what has changed for me as I approach the 2012 season. First thing to go was the Maffetone Heart Training Method. I recommend it as an initial means of building a strong aerobic base, but feel that the method is designed for the sea level runner training on little or no hills. I live on a hill at 8,700 feet, and there's just no easy way to keep your heart rate below, say, 140 bpm, without walking at some point. I was hiking at least one portion of every run, not realizing it was reducing me into a comfort-seeking, slow runner at race time. It eroded my ability to suffer, when suffering should be what drives me more swiftly to the finish line.

Instead, I've modified an existing training program to stack two long run days in a row, with a break on either side and then some shorter days throughout the week. It was tough starting from scratch. 'Hmmmm, let's see...Monday - 2 miles.  Uhh, t-t-two miles???'. We'll see how that goes.

The next move was from the Salomon XT Wings 2 to a lighter shoe. I've found that the Wings are simply too beefy, and while I'm not yet ready to jump on the Vibram train, there is something attractive about running technical singletrack in a minimalist shoe. I'll stay with the already-discontinued XT Hawk 2 until I can't find any more in my size.

Finally, there's the heartfelt desire to cut down on Diet Coke and sweets, which has been surprisingly easy - especially the sugary stuff. It only took a few days for the cravings to dissipate, and the health benefits are already materializing in other venues (read:mood). 

As I scan through the 2012 schedules, I realize what I missed most about the races was the camaraderie and competition, and honestly, being able help others along the way. In the meantime, I'm pining away as the mileage creeps forward. Maybe I'll be eating your dust on the trails next spring.

2 comments:

Woody said...

Woo Hoo, he's back! Not that you ever really went anywhere. I hope the last two months have kept you on the wagon and the runs are getting easier.

funkylegs said...

Good to hear from you, too, Woody. Runs *are* getting easy, and it's been tough keeping the mileage in check. Hope we can get together for a long run this winter.

-K